Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Joys of Working Out

When it comes to exercise, I've found that the more I avoid working out, the harder it is to push myself when I finally do drag myself to the gym. (This is good to know if you tend to start exercising, but easily become discouraged.)

I know I've been struggling with not wanting to work out. After several months full of consulting work and little time or energy for exercise, I started regular work outs about a week and a half ago. I don't like feeling out of shape, and those first workouts really showcased my lack of endurance. Last Saturday, I forced myself to finish 45 minutes of weights. I had to continuously coax myself into finishing the workout.

Today, the time sped by. At one point, I looked at the clock and realized 25 minutes had flown by. I'd planned on exercising for a hour, mostly weights with a little jump rope and eliptical thrown in. I figured that last 15 minutes might be a push. But I enjoyed the process enough that I ended up doing an extra 10 minutes. 

Afterwards, I felt great. A great way to start the day.

Hopefully this week I won't have such a mental struggle to get myself to the point of working out.

Do you have similar struggles?

Today:
Workout: YES!
Reading--fiction: Better of Dead, by Meryl Sawyer
Reading--nonfiction: Life is a Series of Presentations by Tony Jeary
Writing: Blog for Monday
Prayer: For the family of 44 year old Tony Matson, who passed away leaving three young daughters. 
Prayer: For Rich Lewis, choir director at my church, who suffered two heart attacks, and needs a miracle.
Affirmation: I'm grateful for my healthy mind, body, and spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment